- Water-Why it’s Important & How to Improve Intake
Importance of Water
Water is essential to good health and the most essential nutrient. Adults are recommended to drink 2 litres a day.
Your body’s thirst mechanism isn’t a good indicator of the body’s actual need for fluid especially if like me your consume copious amounts of coffee.
Your real need for fluid precedes your feeling of being thirsty. Hence it’s important to be ‘forward thinking’ in drinking water.
Water is important –
- helps regulate body temperature
- plays a role in dissolving solids, helping organ function
- transports nutrients around the body
- and we often mistake hunger for thirst
So I would like you to drink at least 2 and preferably 3 litres of water a day.
A simple way to achieve this, if you have a tendency to forget like I do.
- If you are awake 15 hours. Take three bottles of water. 1 litre each.
- Mark each with 5 horizontal even lines i.e. divide the water into 5 sections. You can use a permanent marker for this.
- Now you have the amount of water you need to drink each hour to total 3 litres a day.
- Set your mobile alarm to ring every hour, as a reminder to drink the water.
Do this every day until drinking 3 litres of water becomes a habit.
Stay Fit Stay Well